If you’ve never heard of ductless mini-split heat-pump systems, you’re not alone. New to the U.S. market, these systems provide a way to heat and cool spaces without ductwork.
The systems have outdoor compressors, like other heat pumps. But instead of a central air handler inside that sends conditioned air through your home’s ductwork, the blower in the air handler sends the heated or cooled air directly into your room.
The units have a number of advantages over central air conditioning systems or heat pumps, including:
- Flexibility. The relatively small air handlers can be installed on the walls, on the ceiling or freestanding.
- Appearance. Manufacturers house the evaporators in modern-looking covers that many people find more attractive than window-mounted air conditioners.
- Controls. Some ductless mini-split systems have microprocessors that control the air temperature and humidity in individual rooms. When the systems operate in an intermittent mode, the humidity level and air temperature remain constant. Optional remote controls also allow users to change the settings from anywhere in the room.
- Flexible louvers. By directing the louvers up, down or sideways, people can keep the air circulating throughout the room, adding to overall comfort levels.
- Smart operation. The mini-split systems that have a heating function can change from air conditioning to heating automatically, a valuable feature for the Valley of the Sun.
- Night setback functions. Ductless mini-split heat-pump systems with this mode gradually decrease the temperatures in the heat setting 30 minutes after the user goes to bed. This decreases energy use overnight without sacrificing comfort.
- System additions. Depending on the model, ductless mini-split heat-pump systems may be able to provide heating and cooling to as many as four individual units.
- Energy efficiency. The ductless systems do not lose any heating or cooling to leaky ducts, which can account for up to 30 percent of energy inefficiency with a ducted system.
If you would like more information, contact the heating and cooling technicians at Hobaica Services. Hobaica Services is family owned and operated and has been serving the Valley of the Sun since 1952.