How to Deal with an AC Breakdown In The Sweltering Phoenix Heat
Your home can quickly become a hot, uncomfortable and impossible place to live for the whole family when your AC unit stops cooling your Phoenix area home. With temperatures that get up in the 110s, it can get downright dangerous not to have a working AC.
If your AC unit stops cooling, is blowing hot air or not cooling well enough to keep you comfortable, Hobaica Services is here to help you not only stay comfortable but also to keep you and your family safe. Read more to learn all about what you should do when your home’s air conditioner stops working.
Steps To Immediately Take When Your AC Fails
When faced with a broken home AC unit on a scorching hot day, there are several immediate steps you can take to stay cool and address the issue. Begin by checking the thermostat settings, ensuring it's set to "cool" and at the desired temperature. Next, inspect the circuit breaker to see if the AC breaker has tripped; if so, reset it and wait for the system to restart.
If these initial checks don't resolve the problem, your next step should be a call to an HVAC company to come and check your system. In the meantime, keep the blinds and curtains closed to block out sunlight and heat. Create cross-ventilation by strategically placing fans near windows to promote air circulation. Opt for lightweight and breathable clothing, and stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. If available, use portable fans or invest in a temporary cooling solution like a portable air conditioner.
Additionally, consider moving to a cooler part of the house, such as the basement, if feasible. In the hottest part of the day, you should relocate to a friend or family member’s house, or to your nearest grocery store or business to stay cool and safe from the dangerous heat.
How To Tell If Your AC Is About To Stop Working
Here are a few warning signs that your air conditioner is at risk of breaking down:
- Strange Noises – Odd sounds coming from your AC system, such as grinding, squealing, or louder than usual operating noise are all signs that your AC is struggling to keep you comfortable.
- Warm Air From Vents – If the air coming out of your vents does not feel cold, this is the most surefire sign that your AC is struggling.
- No Water From Your Drain Line – During the heat of summer, you should always see some water coming out of the AC unit drain line. If you don’t see any water, this is a sign that your AC is not operating at full capacity.
- Excessive Run Time – If your AC seems to be running all day and does not cycle off until the sun goes down, it is not operating at full capacity. It will most likely break down when you least expect it!
Common AC Issues For Phoenix Homes
Hobaica has been helping Phoenix homeowners with their AC repairs since 1952 and has seen it all when it comes to home air conditioning issues. Here are some of the most likely air conditioning problems you will face:
Unit Is Low On Coolant
Refrigerant is cycled in your air conditioner - however, leaks, cracks and other issues can cause your freon levels to drop. When your AC doesn’t have the freon it needs to operate correctly, a few things happen:
- Your system blows warmer air than what you have the thermostat set.
- Your system freezes inside the unit. After it cycles, the frozen ice warms up, which then causes the unit to leak.
If you suspect your system is low on refrigerant, it’s essential that you do NOT try to add freon yourself. Coolant is a hazardous substance that needs to be handled by a licensed HVAC technician only!
Our team provides free freon checks for your home’s AC - schedule your free freon check today!
Condenser Is Going Bad
An HVAC condenser is probably the most important part of your entire air conditioning system. It is the mechanism that transforms and condenses refrigerant, allowing it to be sent to the evaporator coils to expand and cool. This action creates that incredibly cool air to make your home nice and comfortable on a hot summer’s day. If your condenser stops working, you’ll notice a few things:
- Warm air blows into your home.
- Unusual noises come from your outdoor unit including grinding, rattling or hissing sounds.
- The unit freezes over.
Do you think your condenser is malfunctioning? Call Hobaica now at 602-633-9555 to get this essential part of your AC system inspected before your system completely breaks down.
If your thermostat is not working properly, it cannot communicate with your system and instruct it to cool your house. Some issues that can pop up when your thermostat is faulty include:
- Your air conditioning won’t turn on.
- Your system seems to run fine but your house is not at the temperature you would like.
- The air conditioner cycles too quickly or won’t turn off at all.
You can get a FREE thermostat from Hobaica simply by registering your current one with us. Sign up today for our Lifetime Thermostat Guarantee!
Clogged Air Filter
A dirty air filter clogs the airflow in your house and wreaks havoc on your air conditioning system. When the airflow is clogged, some issues that happen include:
- Air from your system is barely flowing into your home.
- There is no air coming into your home at all even though the system is running.
- There is air flowing into your home, but it is warm.
We get it - life is busy! When you buy air filters online from Hobaica, we’ll automatically send you a new filter when you need it. Get started today!
Finding a Provider You Can Trust
Whether you’ve already called your Phoenix, AZ AC repair provider for service or are looking for someone you can trust, here are some tips to help you make the right choice:
- Online Reputation – Look for a company with a high number of positive online reviews on services such as Google, Facebook, BBB & Nearby Now, so you can be confident in the quality of their customer service.
- Hobaica is proud to have received over 4,000 Five Star Google Ratings, an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, and thousands of customer referrals over the years.
- Stability With Years in Business – Look for a company that has been in business for many years with a proven track record of success.
- In business since 1952, Hobaica is here for you for the long run. Our company provides expert and friendly service in Phoenix you can count on.
- Proper Credentials – For your protection, it’s essential to only work with a licensed, bonded and insured company.
- Hobaica Services is licensed, bonded and insured. Our HVAC techs are also certified and highly trained.
What to Do if You Are Not Comfortable With Your Current Estimate or Service Provider
Are you experiencing any of these red flags with your recent AC repair or replacement estimate?
- The price of the repair seems too high.
- The condition of your AC was not communicated to you in a way you can understand.
- Your service provider did not supply you with photos or a video so you can clearly see what your system’s problems look like.
- Pricing is not transparent, upfront & in writing.
- Your service tech seemed pushy to convince you to make an expensive repair or replace your entire system.
If you have doubts…trust your gut and get a FREE second opinion from Hobaica. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
Established in 1952, we have developed an impeccable reputation for being one of the most trusted names in Phoenix. With Hobaica, you can always trust that our professionals will be honest, polite and knowledgeable while providing you with an experience that is guaranteed to give you 100% satisfaction. We live by our company promise in everything we do…We Do The Right Thing, Even When Nobody Is Watching.
Call us at 602-633-9555 for a free second opinion from the most likable people you’ll ever meet!
We Guarantee, You’ll Lika…Hobaica!